Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Texas Tea

I have thought for quite a while now about the function and dysfunction of certain systems in America. I’ll start by stream-of-consciousness-ing” some “systems” we have…education, taxation, medicine, election (not that kind, Sam), agriculture, communication of information (media), production of information (academia) industry, law enforcement, law writing, defense, etc. (Basically a whole lot of platforms, ugh). Nevermind.

But on a related note, the govna of Texas, after sponsoring one of these incredibly short sighted “Tea Parties” on Tax Day, mentioned that Texans are going to start thinking about seceding from the Union. Without getting into everything I think about that, I will just list several initial thoughts, and leave it at that.
- I’ve never liked Texas in any way. Except for a handful of musicians and my cousins (who were born in Massachussettes).
- The people who ACTUALLY held a Tea Party in defiance of their mother country ACTUALLY revolted, and ACTUALLY did something (besides whining).
- And these tax day protests of deficit spending were non-existant when the last group of folks were spending middle class tax dollars and doubling the national debt, one of them being from the great nation of Texas!


Okay, okay, I’m sorry for ranting, but come on, Texas! You’re taking an event that helped create the most dynamic, incredible country in the world and letting it devolve into an impotent whine-fest. You may as well add in some crumpits and gossip, then you can have a real tea party, or, cactus juice party, I guess.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Definitely agree with you on a lot here! Cactus-juice party is a much better title for these glorified protests, haha..

I can understand, though, why people are protesting. As much as the previous administration spent (and we could talk forever about on WHAT they spent their tax dollars), it's impossible to ignore how much Obama is planning to spend. It IS influencing taxes, and it necessarily WILL influence taxes for years to come. Some people have a right to be upset. Other people have a legitimate reason to jubilate.

I don't think the idea of Texas seceding is really likely at all. I had a great conversation with a drunk Midwesterner on Saturday in North Carolina, though, about it. He has a secession watch list. How awesome is that?

That being said, I think ultimately Texas will never criticize the man it elects, and will always look for something to criticize in the man it doesn't elect.

And when I say "Texas," I really mean "everyoneintheUnitedStates." We're all pretty stuck in our ways.

Stan Putnam said...

woo! doctrine of election shout-out! read your bibles, people!