Friday, July 3, 2009

Pinhole Camera


So I spent about 70 hours last Saturday making this tyte pinhole camera, which is pretty good considering I carved it from a single piece of wood. I found the pattern, if you will, from a website that had 5 or 6 others to choose from. It isn't really carved out of wood, but made from a cereal box. It really did take me quite a bit of time. Anyway, the whole idea came about when I was thinking how neat it would be to leave the shutter open, taking a picture of Carver as he moves about his crib during a nap (this is presently taking place). Well, after spending quite a bit of time on this camera, I finally got around to putting the actual photo-taking, pinhole device into the outer box pictured, and it didn't fit once you put film in. Now, if you click on the link above, it looks like a pretty professional website. They're certainly pitching this thing as utile. I just can't believe that the person that designed it didn't consult with an engineering friend, or even a relatively bright 6th grader, to make sure it would all fit. Well, regardless, I am making it work, because I am an American and it's Independence Day.
I can't wait to post my pinhole pictures! I'm so used to having a digital camera, it'll be hard to wait until I take all 27 pictures and get them developed.

2 comments:

Travis McKinney said...

That is too bad that it didnt fit. Did I ever show you the pinhole pictures i took? And by the way, that is me that is looking at your blog from Tirol.

Ethan said...

Well, it still takes pictures. I've taken three so far I think. I never saw your pictures that you took, but I did see the lego camera.
I hope you guys are having a great time. If you need to leave Austria to avoid being arrested, I suggest you guys act like a singing family group, and leave by night. If you see Liesl, please tell her hi.