Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Do not despise the day of small things

As you know, we've felt like things have been "up in the air" for us for quite a while now. Since about the time I started lacking direction on my thesis until now we have just been living day to day, week to week, trying to listen to God. The portions of our life that have been concrete, however, have been what got us through that; God's grace in our floundering around, our trust that God was taking care of us, God taking care of us, and our marriage. Our priest, Father Ron, ofter reminds us not to despise the days of small things, and that he or she who is faithful with a little will be trusted with bigger things.
We are finally, finally at a place where things are not up in the air! I applied for PA school earlier this semester and went back to Santa Fe to finish the prereqs (Anatomy & Physiology I & II and Microbiology). I applied to 11 schools, and the first to call for an interview was Wake Forest, in Winston-Salem. I went for the interview on Friday just praying that I would have a chance. There were people there who seemed quite a bit more qualified, and I was hoping for at least a spot on the alternate list. Well, at the end of the day they called me and another applicant into the admission director's office and she said, "normally we don't do this on interview day, but the two of you just blew us away today, and I'd like to invite you for a spot in our incoming class!" My very first thought was that Valerie and I will no longer feel like everything is up in the air! One day I will actually have a career that is rewarding and affords a good salary. I cried and hugged the director of admissions.
I am so impressed with Wake's program. It is focused on problem based learning (PBL) rather than lecture based learning, and I think I will thrive in that environment. It is much the way my graduate advisor teaches students. So, I have decided to accept the spot at Wake Forest. I cannot tell you how excited I am!
It has taken me so long to get to a spot that I was finally not despising the days of small things. I'm sure years from now I will see that I've grown even more. The times that build our character the most, I'm convinced, are chronic. Because we are creatures of habit, I think they have to be. We should not grow weary in doing good (day after day, after long day), because at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we faint not!

By the way, the program starts June 1st. We are so unspeakably sad to leave Gainesville. I can assure you, though, we will be back often. In all kinds of weather we all stick together for F-L-O-R-I-D-A.

No comments: