Tuesday, April 8, 2008

ROTFL

I have decided over the past few years that life really goes in cycles, whether they be physical, emotional, spiritual, etc. I think over the course of many many cycles we grow, or I guess we can un-grow for that matter, but generally I think we grow. Let me try to explain what I mean by cycles...
There will be a time that I am so pumped about whatever it is that I'm doing, and those times are always really great, and sometimes blissful. Then, usually because of circumstances, I let myself become discontented with some part of my lot. If I have learned something in the past few years it is that I should try my hardest not to let myself get discontented with a circumstance, they are passing things, or cycles, really.
Anyway, the point of the idea is that on Sunday I continued realizing something that some of my current discontent has blinded me from. That is, the value of knowing Christ, about Christ. Father Ron, our faithful priest, reminded me that certain translations of the word "good" used to describe Christ, mean winsome and beautiful. That is a pretty major thing to forget, I thought to myself.
Then Ron told us that in Psalm 23, the better translation of one verse is "Surely goodness and mercy shall pursue me all the days of my life." It will pursue me? Like, something is causing goodness and mercy to pursue me?
Here is the thought that I had. Sometimes I run really hard from God, even if I tell myself that it is not what I'm doing. The reason I do it is because I, at the time, do not know enough about him, and therefore do not trust him like I should. The image I had was me running from a huge lion, in fear. But eventually, if I let the lion catch me, he doesn't eat me, but we roll around, and he tosses us around with huge velvety paws, and it is such a romp as no one has ever had except in Narnia, because Christ is, in fact, pursuing us, and He is goodness and mercy. And when we let him catch us, we aren't sure if it is more like playing with a kitten or with a giant thunderstorm; but it is always good.

No comments: