Friday, January 30, 2009

Amish you, playground.

Did you know there are 2,000 Amish households in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania that use electricity generated by solar power? Did you know that the nation of Bhutan, since 1972, has measured its Gross National Happiness? Well, it has. And, according to whoever measures it (I guess they are like emotionomists), 68% of Bhutanese people are happy, as of late. I wonder if they measure it every quarter.
Well anyway, it turns out that the emotionomists in America right now are predicting that this quarter was the lowest GNP we’ve had in the U.S since 1982, which ironically was a really good year for me. Anyway, the Country was officially in a recession that year, so I guess they will start saying we are in one soon.
But I digress, the point of this was not to bore you or ruin your day. It was that, while I was hearing this on NPR on the way to work today, I was thinking about a piece of art, maybe Travis McKinney style, which has the word Recession! Painted across the top in red, as if it was a movie poster for Aliens Attack, but the rest of the poster is kids at recess. Maybe some girl with pig tails on the swings, or no, how about there is some kid on a merry-go-round, and a bully (ironically a Bear Market) just keeps spinning it faster and faster. Anyway, that is totally random. I just thought it was interesting that recess is always good when it is you taking the break, but when it’s the somewhat unrepresentative metric of our GDP, recess is bad. Maybe the poster could be a line of industry, government, regulation, Monsieur Lassez-faire, the developed and the developing, Unions and Management, all sitting out at recess with their backs against a brick wall because they all told on each other for the same thing. The poster could also have all the Amish in the background, playing hop-scotch and kickball. If I were in the picture as my elementary age self, I would have been sitting out at recess too, but probably for laughing at whatever face Eric Hutts made at me in Music class.

No comments: